Go directly to their own homepage:
Founded at Liganga as Religious House on 15 January 1957
promoted to the grade of Simple Priory and transferred to Hanga on 15 December 1960
constituted as Conventual Priory on 5 October 1971
promoted to the grade of an Abbey on 13 December 1993
Benedictine Abbey Hanga
P. O. Box 217
Phone / Fax +255 635 2013
The Monastery of Hanga is a branch of the great Order of St.Benedict, a member of the Confederation of Benedictine monks and a member of the Missionary Benedictine Congregation of St.Ottilien with ample permission for development according to the African mentality, culture, needs etc. With the approval of the Holy See in 1955 "ad experimenturn" the Community was founded early in 1957 by Abbot- Bishop Eberhard Spiess OSB who entrusted it to three of his Missionaries, to a priest and two brothers, as its tutors. They introduced the young Africans into the Benedictine monastic life of prayer and work, leaving to them the manner of adapting it to the African way of life. In 1965 its "Particular Statutes" were approved by the Holy See for 10 years, its spiritual leadership was handed over to one of its African members and by the end of 1967 it got full independence. In 1971 it got full independence as a Conventual Priory with all obligations, rights and privileges of an abbey.
The real change that has been brought about by the African Community has been that all its members, priests and non-priests, are all to be Choir monks: "wote watawa wa sala na kazi - all monks of prayer and work", with the same rights and obligations except those which are essentially priestly. This is according to the African idea of a family (ujamaa) and of a religious as a man of prayer (mtawa, mtu wa sala). Its aim is monastic life according to the Rule of St. Benedict and any service that can go together with the monastic life. Its great concerns are spiritual life, self-support and service.
HISTORIA NA MWANZILISHI:
Monasteri ya Hanga ni maii ya Shirika la rntakatifu Otilia. Kwa idhini ya Papa, rnonasreri ya Hanga ilianzishwa rasmi tarehe 15 Januari 1957 na Mhashamu Abate Askofu Eberhard Spiess (aliyefariki dunia 1990), wakati huo akiwa Askofu wa Jimbo ]a Peramiho (sasa ni majirnbo rnatatu: Songea, Mbinga na Njombe). Monasteri iliundwa kwa kuidhinishwa kuyazingatia mazingira ya Kiafrika, rnila na desturi (utamadunisho), mahitaji na hali halisi ya mahali. llilenga kuwa ni monasteri yenye msimamo na rnwelekeo maalum wa Kiafrika.
MALENGO NA DHAMIRA:
MASHARTI YA KUJIUNGA:
S.L.P. 217 Songea
You are visitor No.
on Inkamana's site since 13 May 1996
This page was created on 23 October 1998 and last updated on 30 May 2005 22:16:38
Search the Inkamana.Org Website!