NEWTON.gif (3027 bytes)
St. Paul's Abbey

Newton, NJ, USA

Monastery founded on 15 March 1924
promoted to the grade of Conventual Priory on 2 May 1936
promoted to the grade of an Abbey on 9 June 1947


St. Paul's Abbey
P. O. Box 7
Newton, N.J. 07860

Phone +1 201 383 2470
Fax +1 201 383 5782


Saint Paul's Abbey was founded in 1924 under the leadership of Father Michael Heinlein, a monk of the German Archabbey of St.Ottilien. The major purpose of this foundation was to recruit and train American men to help carry out the monastic and missionary traditions of the Congregation of St.Ottilien. The foundation was placed under the patronage of Therese of Lisieux, and known as Little Flower Monastery. The monastery developed rapidly, becoming a simple priory in 1928 and a Conventual Priory in 1936. Father Michael served as superior of the monastery for seventeen years. In 1947 Father Charles Coriston was elected first Abbot of St. Paul's Abbey. He served as abbot until 1966 when Father Augustine Hinches was appointed prior-administrator. In 1970 Father Augustine was elected as the second, and present, Abbot of the community. The work of the community of St. Paul's Abbey has varied over the years, and continues to change. The major concerns of the young foundation in the 1920's was agriculture and developing community life in the Spirit. Later a minor seminary was established and operated for over 30 years. Today the monks are engaged in a variety of activities. The major community endeavour is presently Queen of Peace Retreat House which provides a place of spiritual renewal for religious and laity. Several monks also teach or work at other activities in different schools in the area. Helping in local parishes on weekends, hospital work, the care of guests, and a myriad of other jobs keep the members of the community actively involved. Several monks of the community have been serving in the missions in East and South Africa. Agriculture continues as a major concern with the growing of hay and Christmas trees.

The former monastery, now used as retreat house

You are visitor No. on Inkamana's site since 13 May 1996
This page was created on 23 October 1998 and last updated on 21 January 2005 00:31:48

Back to
INKABUTT.gif (6981 bytes) OHIOBUTT.gif (3496 bytes)

Search the Inkamana.Org Website!